Monday, June 20, 2011

i dream of bad breath

I dream of bad breath

my breath smells bad

not bad enough to be horrible

but bad enough to be bad

I didn’t brush my teeth today

I did brush my teeth yesterday

like this morning coffee

drunk, right before bed

like a bad dream

30 minn. after you wake up

I am sitting in this white conference

room big as all creation

organizing enumerable poems

my friend has given up this impossible task

or maybe she is done

she instead is writing new poems in crayon

she smiles and waves to me

-Creed Schierman

1 comment:

  1. creed, i love the sense of scene here, and it's as if we are eavesdropping on the speaker and getting to hear even the fears inside. this makes the last line come home and getting her with crayons and a smile and wave. it makes me think how important innocence and love is.

    ReplyDelete